Saturday, October 13, 2007

Feedback -pros and cons?

I'm the type of person that actually invites feedback. To me, there's almost nothing negative to be gained from people commenting on your blog. Even the more negative posts will have something useful in there - and people who truly want improvement will often provide insights that I've never considered. 

I'd like to have a feedback "thingy" on a library blog so that patrons can comment on what they read. It's pretty poor customer service if you don't know what your patron needs - and feedback is a good way of finding out what's on their mind. It drives me absolutely NUTS when businesses pay no attention to what their client wants or needs - having more feedback on blogs would be a great way for libraries and companies to improve services. Just my not-so-humble two cents...

One possible con: there still is a fairly large segment of library users that are computer illiterate - so there needs to be ways to reach them too and invite them to be brave and comment on a blog. Any thoughts there? 

Let me know what you all think - I'm still learning as I go... so I could be way off the mark here - but I don't think so. 

3 comments:

Leslie Farrell said...

Hi Megan,

I couldn't agree more about the importance of feedback.

I think having comments turned on in the library blog are helpful but it may be necessary to review them prior to posting.

And if you want feedback about the library, I think a multi-access approach is necessary. Online surveys are great but in-person surveys and focus groups will reach users who access the library in a different way.

megan_the_librarian27 said...

Excellent ideas, Leslie! Thanks!

bkopetsky said...

Really, you like feedback, really, really... Than why don't you ever seem to enjoy my feedback.